Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dutch Man Faces Extradition to US for Terror Charges

A Dutch court rejected Wesam al Delaema's latest attempt to avoid extradition to the US and face the first US trial for terror charges stemming from Iraq. Al Delaema's attorneys had argued that the US had no right to try him, that they would torture him and that the US justice system could not be trusted. The US argued that al Delaema will be tried in a federal court and can serve his sentence in the Netherlands, and the Dutch court felt this was enough. They held that they had no reason to believe the US would not keep its word or deny al Delaema fundamental rights.

I am not sure if I trust the US Justice Department as much as the Dutch court, but I think they probably got this one right. There is enough evidence that al Delaema, an Iraq native, participated in terrorist acts (as defined by the US). Al Delaema filmed a video planting roadside bombs which was found at his home and gave an interview on Dutch television decrying the US where he stated "I don't care if I myself die or not. I want to offer myself up for my land, for my people." He claims he was forced to make the video and his family says the interview was a joke.

Meanwhile, I still wonder how it is considered terrorism to protect your homeland from a foreign invader at any cost. Can we really expect these people that are not part of a governmental army to follow the laws of war? It is no shock to me that they fight back by any means necessary. I am not saying I necessarily agree with it and hate to see it, but at the same time, the US has been over there for over three and a half years. I only hope that Richard Gates can turn this thing around quickly, as things seem to be getting worse by the day.

International Extradition Blog has a bit more on the story here.

No comments: