Monday, November 27, 2006


Israel Willing to Swap Prisoners for Soldier
Israeli Prime Minister Olmert said that Israel is prepared to return many Palestinian prisoners in exchange for captured soldier Gilad Shalit (pictured). I really do not feel this is a good idea for Israel to swap a bunch of prisoners for one soldier, and apparently Olmert felt it was a "major mistake" a few months ago. I am not sure what changed, maybe political pressure? Either way, it just seems like a dangerous precedent. Well, I take that back, Israel and Hezbollah made a similar swap just two years ago. Palestinians apparently took note of that and decided to try it themselves. So I guess I am left to wonder what is to stop any of Israel's enemies (and they have many) from kidnapping soldiers to achieve their goals?

No comments: